Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Readers in Changsha, China







Comments from China
Keith,
It's so nice of you to send me the part of your father's book. I enjoyed it especially the paragraph you wrote. I had a peculiar feeling when I was reading---so unbelievable---It's your father, I mean, not your brother ,son ,friend, not anyone but your father. I've never read a biography of a senior. The book drove my minds into a far away place and inspired me a lot of imagination. You are so lucky to have such a father that loves your family.
Chen


You know,reading your father's book in this way is different from reading any other books,for I felt I know the author and he is so close. It's the same with the book These Old Hills. Like you have said in that book, he remembered everything so well as if there was a recorder in his mind since he was six years old. I felt even more so when it comes to your father's book. He seems to have taken a recorder with him since he was born. All those names and numbers of years. I know better and in more details about the life the earlier immigrants from Europe had in America.They did take a leap from a continent to another.I think they were really great. Most importantly, they seem to be so close to my life because I know you and they are your family.
Jane

I was reading that book and laughed. Old Mr. Gilbertson called the time he had surgery on his right hand. “Restoring an antique”. He is really optimistic. I can't agree with him more. If we'd like to make a friend, bright person is always the Number 1 choice, right?
Recently, my dad and I have had more communication, through which, I think I get a better understanding to him and we really enjoy it. I guess that's why you like to work together with your dad. You have the same topic now and make efforts together. That kind of feeling is really amazing! I have an idea; maybe the book can be passed through generation to generation as a family gift. What should be changed is to add more stories about the new generation.
Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment